Sunday, January 11, 2015

"Marvel's Agent Carter": Favorite New TV Show of the 2014-2015 Season So Far

Hayley Atwell
Marvel's Agent Carter

Hayley Atwell has been one of my celebrity crushes for about five years now.  She first caught my eye in The Dutchess but she really became unforgettable in Brideshead Revisited. She was the other woman in The Dutchess, which got in the way of her likability. I'm not sure what her hairstyle is called from Brideshead [...], maybe a turn-of-the-century bob? 

Hayley Atwell
The Dutchess
 
The Dutchess
The Dutchess

 
Brideshead Revisited
Brideshead Revisited

Hayley Atwell in Center
Brideshead Revisited (Atwell in center).

I just finished watching the first two episodes of "Marvel's Agent Carter." My crush is even more validated thanks to this show. She pulls off one of the first female characters on TV that can go toe-to-toe with men physically without any silliness or awkwardness.  No doubt, the choreographers and stunt coordinators are largely responsible but she sells it. There are many great female protagonists who are strong mentally but less physically and they are often icy and sullen, Carter is quite warm and funny. She uses whatever is available in her environment during combat, quite effectively. More importantly, she does quite well without weapons or, rather, with the weapon of her body. Carter's also quite snappy and bold-lipped when the situation calls for it, which is often. I love the automat and the waitress friend and the 30s/40's pop music. Whereas, "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." left me underwhelmed, I can see sticking with this 'til the end.

EDIT: Upon further consideration, I'd say she's now my favorite female comic book character of all that I know of (Catwoman being my previous favorite). 

1 comment:

  1. Now that I think about it more, in Brideshead Revisited she's like a flapper but in fashion only, not in personality or behavior.

    ReplyDelete