Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Canadian Screen Awards 2017 (Awarded to 2016 Films and TV)

I was quite disappointed about missing the Canadian Screen Awards of 2016. I was especially interested in that show because of Young Drunk Punk, but I also came to love the brisk, positive nature of the show.

This year I managed to live stream it from Facebook. Canada blocked non-Canadian IP addresses, so I had to go through a proxy. Unfortunately, due to buffering issues, I couldn't record everything perfectly but I was able to capture two of my favorite portions of the ceremony. Interestingly, and distracting, the live feed displayed all the emoticons viewers clicked bobbing across the bottom of the screen.

Howie Mandel was the host this year (his first time), which made for an energetic evening.  

There were three moments that stood out for me.

My favorite regular award of the night was for Stephan James as Best Actor (in a Leading Role) in the film Race. Unlike the American Academy, which didn't give Race any acknowledgment, Race was extensively acknowledged in this ceremony.

Otherwise, the regular awards were of less interest.

1. Christopher Plummer Received the Lifetime Achievement Award

Watch Video Here!

I always thought Christopher Plummer was British, or at least European. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that he was Canadian. I really wish I had successfully recorded the montage of his career, it looked outstanding, and contained many early roles that I do not know of.

2. Just for Laughs Received the Academy Icon Award


I never heard of this festival before, not explicitly anyhow. The festival's talent throughout the years is clearly impressive. And the acceptance speech given by the founder was a funny tale, far more interesting than the average speech. 

3. Tantoo Cardinal wins the Earle Grey Award


Woman of the Year politician Tina Keeper was gorgeously styled and well-spoken in introducing the truly unique and inspirational Tantoo Cardinal. I am always interested in learning more about true indigenous actors and authentic indigenous films. Tantoo Cardinal's career is a great guide to such films. Her speech is a must-listen.

1 comment:

  1. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses.
    film en streaming

    ReplyDelete