Saturday, December 27, 2014

Three Films That Surpised Me Last Weekend (The Weekend of 12-20-2014)

Gone Girl

Gone Girl: This move is the second most enjoyable Fincher film I've seen of the 2000's ilk, after The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  Generally, I've been disappointed by his more recent films compared to the rest of of civilization.  I miss his 1990's films.  Anyhow, I thought this was going to be some painful, tearjerker of a film but it was really fun considering the subject, I especially like the protagonist's sister, who I knew I loved from her very first appearance.  I'm not the biggest fan of the bittersweet ending, bitches deserve justice.

Housebound
Housebound: Like Grabbers last year, this is another film I saw thanks to Fangoria.  I love horror comedy and dry humor, both of which are to be found here.  What's surprising is that this film starts as one thing then becomes another thing and then another.  There are some solid movie references/similarities.  Morgana O'Reilly has a cute-punkish screen presence that grew on me.  The big caveat: this film doesn't really get started until about 40-45 minutes in, that said, on repeat viewings it just may fly by when you know what's coming.

The Town That Dreaded Sundown

The Town That Dreaded Sundown: First off, I loved seeing the classic 1990's Orion logo again, the one that accompanied my favorite film of all time, The Silence of the Lambs (among others).  This film is deliciously meta and I don't want to say why because that spoils the fun.  Addison Timlin charmed the hell out of me as a brunette Southern belle, or a Texan-Lower Plains Belle, whatever . . . but if she brung me then I'd be dancing with her empty cups before I laid eyes on another gal. Anyhow, this film has familiar elements for sure; and why shouldn't it?  This is the best horror franchise successor I've seen ever, I think.  Pop some granola and whip up some wheatgrass gravy and let this one rip.

No comments:

Post a Comment